Monday 21 January 2013

Yet another Snow Day........ Yi.........

Can you see that my enthusiasm for this wonderful weather is wearing a bit thin. I was supposed to start a 48hr course today (Monday)  in Stamford. Fat chance of that. Would you want to give driving lessons to a nervous learner driver in this weather? No, me neither. So what could I do but stay on good old Jolli and treat myself to another day of leisure.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

Yesterday was a typical Sunday. Typical that is, if you are live-a-board in this weather. As it was a Sunday, what could I do but go to the pub at lunchtime. The days of "The Sunday Lunchtime Drinking Session" seem to have passed into glorious memory. Not so in our adopted village. The local was heaving.

 It used to be a tradition at home. Fathers and sons would go to the pub, whilst wives' and mothers' cooked Sunday dinner God that does sound it bit chauvinist, doesn,t it. But that's the way it was.

Since Gail was still away with work and "I daren't drive in these conditions" commitments, I had nobody to please but myself.

 
 
So off to the pub I set, with dogs, a £10 note and high hopes in my heart. As I left the marina the temperature crept up to a blistering -2 C. Saying a wistful "Goodbye" to Jolli we set off.
 




 
Feeling a little like Captain Oates. "I'm going outside now, and I might be quite some time", we carried on.
 
 
A short walk from the marina is a lane with various farm buildings and I was fully aware of this, as was Tess. The dogs are fully "Cattle aware" and I had no worries about this, Tam and I continued with the walk. After about 50 yds or so I became aware that Tess was no longer with us. Running back, and shouting like a lunatic, (Bit pointless as Tess is profoundly deaf), I found her. there she was, lying with two very young calf's in about 18 inches of cow sh*t. The calf's were clearly unworried, as one of them was trying to lick Tess's ear, I so wish that I was quick enough to take a picture. But by the time I had got the camera out Tess had seen me and was happily trotting towards me, with a look on her face that said, "Ah, there you are. Come on then, lets get going." 
 
We got to the pub and spent a great couple of pints. The smell that Tess emanated was blamed on an
old man that nobody liked, I was happy to go along with this supposition. So with people eating their Sunday Lunch and the flies (figuratively speaking that is, it's too cold for flies) gathering around Tess, we set off back to Jolli.


The weather had improved no end

 
Here's a picture of the neighbours boat taken from the galley window

 
The mince meat stew was great, helped by a couple of dumplings.  Lets see what tomorrow brings.
 
Stay safe and warm out there

 

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I remember at Christmas time, my father would go down to the local pub with all the other men in the family and all the wives and girlfriends would stay at home to cook dinner and that also applied to Sunday lunches, it does still go on as we saw exactly that when we were having our Christmas dinner in Wetherspoons in Market Harborough, so very little has changed over the years.

    Awww bless Tess, she knew where to find some warmth.

    It is set to get warmer this weekend, so make the most of the snow. Stay safe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Jo. It means a lot to know that someone is actually reading my "Cabin Fever Ravings.

      Delete